Reverse Seared PorterhouseDownload PDF
Time to Prepare
Estimated Cook Time
- One Porterhouse steak cut 1 3⁄4” thick
- Preferred steak seasoning or salt and pepper
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil or butter
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley and/or other favorite herbs
- Sea Salt (finishing salt) and Fresh Ground black pepper to taste
Recommended tools for the job
- Flame Boss smoker controller
- Sharp boning or trimming knife
- 1⁄2-1 cup preferred wood chips for smoking (optional)
- Quality hardwood lump charcoal
- Grill Grates or Cast-iron pan for searing
- Quick read thermometer
- Aluminum foil
- Concave cutting board
- Carving knife and fork
- Set up your grill for indirect heat at 250 degrees
- Add pre-soaked wood chips just before adding steak (optional)
- Take steaks out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking, then dry off the surface of the meat, and season steaks with your favorite steak seasoning (season 15 minutes before cooking)
- Place steaks on indirect heat, turning every 10 minutes for even heating
- Remove steak from heat when internal steak temperature reaches 115 degrees
- Let steak rest (tightly covered in foil) for 10-15 minutes. Remove Flame Boss probe thermometer.
- Set grill for direct heat cooking and increase temperature to +/- 600 degrees for direct grilling
- Grill steak direct and flip every minute. Do this for 4 minutes
- Check temp of steak with quick read thermometer
- Transfer steaks to a carving board and toss with board dressing, letting the steaks rest for 10 to 15 minutes (loosely tented in foil)
- Carve meat from the bone and slice against the grain and serve
- Chop parsley and herbs on carving board.
- Combine all ingredients on board and blend with fork.
- This method also works great for Ribeyes, NY Strips, and thick Pork Chops.
- When searing 4 minutes think “minute flip, minute flip, minute flip, minute remove.”
- A steak removed near 130 degrees should carry over to perfect medium rare temperature after resting.
- Add additional flip rotation(s) during sear for medium or medium well temperature.