The Flame Boss 500 Smoker Controller revolutionizes the ability to control the temperature of your charcoal grill or smoker. Considering your quest to get perfectly smoked, moist meats, we added a large LCD display with up-and-down arrow controls, plus “Back” and “Next” buttons for navigating between screens. We’ve also equipped this model with three meat probes.
As the variable-speed blower helps maintain the ideal temperature and avoid fluctuations, you have more control and customizable features, which can be updated directly through the interface or the Flame Boss mobile app.
The Flame Boss 500 Smoker Controller is compatible with several types of charcoal grills and smokers, including Kamado grills. To be used with a Kamado grill, a stainless steel adapter must first be installed before the blower is inserted.
Basic Commands and Features
The Flame Boss 500 Kamado Smoker Controller utilizes a multi-screen interface. The home screen is where you can see and update the set, pit, and meat temperatures with the two arrow buttons below.
The arrows are further used to go between Access Point (AP) and Station (ST) modes as you set up the device with your Wi-Fi network. Once it’s in use, the arrows are key for setting alarms. Your manual provides more details for all temperature- and alarm-setting commands.
“Back” and “Next” commands help you access additional interfaces and save your settings:
- If you ever need to return to the main menu at any time, hit “Next.”
- To return to the home screen, continue pressing “Back.” Note: If you are inactive for 15 seconds, the device’s display will revert back to this interface.
- Hitting “Back” lets you return to the main menu.
- “Next” gives you the option of entering a feature.
Both the device and the mobile app provide further customization opportunities. Update the naming of your probes directly in the app. Brackets on interface screens and prompts indicate variable choices. All you have to do is navigate up or down with the arrows, hit “Next” to save,” or go “Back” to the previous setting.
With a Smart Home Assistant
The Internet of Things allows your Flame Boss 500 Kamado Smoker Controller to connect to your Wi-Fi network and any personal voice assistant you use. This device works with both Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
First, have the Amazon Alexa app downloaded to your phone, if it isn’t already. Then, sign into your Amazon account. You’ll need to name or enable Flame Boss as a skill. Once this connection has been established, you can use some of the following types of commands:
- Alexa, open Flame Boss.
- Alexa, tell Flame Boss to change the set temperature to 300 degrees.
- Alexa, ask Flame Boss for the temperatures.
- Alexa, ask Flame Boss for the Meat 1 temperature.
- Alexa, ask Flame Boss to tell me the set temperature.
For Google Home:
You’ll also need to download the Google Home or Assistant app first. At this point, saying the following types of commands connects it with your Google Home voice assistant:
- OK Google, open Flame Boss.
- Hey Google, ask Flame Boss to change the set temperature to 225 degrees.
- OK Google, ask Flame Boss for the temperatures.
- OK Google, ask Flame Boss for the Meat 2 temperature.
- Hey Google, ask Flame Boss for the set temperature.
For meat: To monitor the temperature of your meat, ensure the probe is inserted a least ½ of an inch into the thickest part. Avoid placing it against the bone.
Connecting: Let the grill heat up a bit before inserting the blower. Once the coals display some ash, insert it using the installation instructions for your Kamado grill.
Care & Storage
Cleaning: Before placing your Flame Boss 500 Kamado Smoker Controller in storage after use, wipe down the display with a paper towel or damp washcloth.
Storage and care: Always keep your Flame Boss 500 Smoker Controller in a dry location. Remove all probes and wrap them around the organizer to reduce wear and damage. Do not use with your grill or smoker after the device or its adapter has been submerged in water. Do not expose your device to excessive heat while in use.
For optimal performance, we recommend using the Flame Boss 500 Kamado Smoker Controller with grill grates, a compatible Kamado grill adapter plate (see below), a compatible battery, and a FB-PP / FBT – FB-TM.
The Flame Boss 500 Kamado Smoker Controller can be used with the following types of Kamado grills:
- Pit boss 24” Kamado grill (Kamado kit only)
- Broil king 2000 and 4000 grills (Kamado kit only)
- Vision Pro C-Series with a Kamado VC adapter
- Vision Pro S-Series with a Kamado V Adapter
The Flame Boss 500 Smoker Controller is not compatible with the following grill types and models:
- Traeger/pellet grills
- Wood/stick burner smokers
- Broil King 5000
Installation with a Kamado Grill
To use your Flame Boss 500 Kamado Smoker Controller, you’ll need to first install the stainless steel adapter plate before you insert the blower. Then, you can partially close the vents and place your probes on the grate and in the meat.