The Flame Boss 500-WiFi Smoker Controller Kit incorporates more features for getting perfectly smoked meats. Known for its set it and forget it operation, this device is compatible with several models of smokers and charcoal grills, helping you get a tender, flavorful piece of meat with less effort.
This model advances upon its predecessors with a large LCD display and up and down arrows for navigating controls. For cooking, it adjusts to your smoker or controller to keep the desired temperature with a variable speed blower. At the same time, you can monitor up to three meat temperatures simultaneously from the screen itself or the Flame Boss mobile app.
The home screen is where you can view and change the set, pit, and meat temperatures. The two arrows in front provide this capability.
The arrow commands further assist with setting alarms for the meat and pit temperatures. As you connect your Flame Boss 500-WiFi Smoker Controller Kit to the Wi-Fi network, the arrows help you toggle between Station (ST) and Access Point (AP) modes. Reference the manual for the full list of commands.
“Back” and “Next” offer additional features:
- Press “Next” to access the main menu.
- Press “Back” multiple times to return to the home screen. Note: If you are inactive for 15 seconds, the device’s display will revert back to the home screen.
- Use “Next” to enter a feature.
- Press “Back” any time you want to return to the main menu.
The Flame Boss 500-WiFi Smoker Controller Kit further provides a degree of configurability. Any setting with a set of brackets ([ ]) offers variable options, which can be browsed through via the arrow keys. Once you settle on something you like, save it with “Next.” “Back” lets you go back to the previous setting.
Probe names can also be customized from their defaults (Meat 1, Meat 2, and Meat 3). All can be updated through the Flame Boss app.
Smart Home Assistants
You can further get readings of the Flame Boss 500-WiFi Smoker Controller Kit from your voice assistant:
Make sure the Amazon Alexa app is downloaded to your mobile phone. Once you’re signed into your Amazon account, you’ll need to activate Flame Boss as a skill. After you do this, the following types of voice commands are possible:
- Alexa, open Flame Boss.
- Alexa, tell Flame Boss to change the set temperature to 300 degrees.
- Alexa, ask Flame Boss for the temperatures.
- Alexa, ask Flame Boss for the Meat 1 temperature.
- Alexa, ask Flame Boss to tell me the set temperature.
For Google Home:
Setup is similar for Google Home. After you download the Google Home or Google Assistant app, you can use the following types of commands:
- OK Google, open Flame Boss.
- Hey Google, ask Flame Boss to change the set temperature to 225 degrees.
- OK Google, ask Flame Boss for the temperatures.
- OK Google, ask Flame Boss for the Meat 2 temperature.
- Hey Google, ask Flame Boss for the set temperature.
For meat: Insert the probe at least ½ of an inch into the thickest part of the cut, placing it away from any bone.
Connecting: Don’t install the blower right away. Instead, wait until the coals start to ash over. Then, connect the blower and start to monitor and control the temperature.
Care & Storage
Cleaning: After you have finished using the Flame Boss 500-WiFi Smoker Controller Kit, wipe the display with a damp washcloth or paper towel.
Storage and care: Your Flame Boss 500-WiFi Smoker Controller Kit should be kept in a dry location:
- Never use your Flame Boss 500-WiFi Smoker Controller Kit after it or the adapter has been submerged in water.
- Avoid leaving it in a location exposing it to excessive heat while in use.
- Remove all probes before placing it in storage. Wrap the probes and wires around the organizer to avoid damage.
For optimal performance, we recommend using the Flame Boss 500-WiFi Smoker Controller Kit with grill grates, a compatible battery, and a FB-PP / FBT – FB-TM.
The Flame Boss 500-WiFi Smoker Controller Kit is compatible with most charcoal grills and smokers, including the following:
- Pit boss 24” Kamado grill (Kamado kit only)
- Broil king 2000 and 4000 grills (Kamado kit only)
- Vision Pro C-Series with a Kamado VC adapter
- Vision Pro S-Series with a Kamado V Adapter
The Flame Boss 500-WiFi Smoker Controller Kit is not compatible with the following grill types and models:
- Traeger/pellet grills
- Wood/stick burner smokers
- Broil King 5000
A universal solution will be directly placed in the grill’s or smoker’s pipe, designed for controlling the chamber’s temperature.
Then, following the instructions supplied in the manual, you will partially close the vents and place your probes on the grate and in the meat to monitor.